The old dilemma when buying a new car – do I choose diesel or gasoline? – It’s over. There are fewer and fewer diesel alternatives on the market and also fewer buyers willing to buy a diesel. But the decision regarding the mechanics that we should choose in our new car, far from being simplified, has become more complex. And the uncertainty is maximum. What will happen to diesel? And with gasoline engines? Should I buy a hybrid car or one that runs on gas? Is it time to make the leap to electric cars, or to opt for an intermediate solution such as plug-in hybrids?
In recent months we have gotten wet. And we have already told you why the smartest purchase in 2023 is the hybrid. We are looking for solutions for all audiences, for all budgets. Cars that are not too expensive. Cars that do not require you to have a charging point at home and, therefore, a garage. And cars that are not subject, as far as possible, to the traffic restrictions that are beginning to be imposed with the arrival of new Low Emission Zones.
What are my options?
Hybrids are no longer so expensive, there are several technologies for all budgets and needs and, without a doubt, they are the smart purchase in 2023
Gasoline yes, but micro-hybrid
It is probably the cheapest solution in most cases. There are more and more products on the market that combine a gasoline engine with a small support electric motor and a battery.to slightly improve consumption and reduce emissions but, above all, to obtain the highly prized ECO label.
The difference between a micro-hybrid (also known as a mild hybrid) and a full hybrid is that micro-hybrids generally use simpler electrical systems, less power and smaller capacity batteries, so the engine electric usually cannot move the vehicle by its own means, without the action of the internal combustion engine.
Between the advantages of the micro-hybrid, especially with respect to diesel and gasoline without hybridization:
- They are usually the cheapest, for enjoying relatively simple hybrid systems. And the most economical solution to have a car with an ECO label, with permission for gas or bifuel cars.
- There are mechanical micro-hybrids for all tastes. Unlike hybrids, there are many options for micro-hybrid gasoline engines associated with manual gearboxes, small and not very powerful engines, and also large-displacement engines and sports-style vehicles.
Diesel and ECO label, also micro-hybrid
As we have been telling you for some time, the most unknown option, but no less interesting for that, is the micro-hybrid diesel. We would only recommend this option for those who need to travel many kilometers (several tens of thousands of kilometers per year) and who, therefore, would take better advantage of the low consumption of diesel. Like micro-hybrid gasoline they have an ECO label. But the supply of products is limited.
Some advantages and disadvantages of diesel micro-hybrids:
- Its biggest advantage is that offer the best of dieselto cover many kilometers with an acceptable consumption, having ECO label
- The biggest drawback of the diesel micro-hybrid is that there are not many options on the market, or at least not as many as in micro-hybrid and full hybrid gasoline cars. Currently in the general market there are only a few diesel micro-hybrids from Hyundai and Kia. In the premium market, there are more options from brands such as Audi, BMW, Jaguar, Land Rover, Mazda, Mercedes-Benz and Volvo
The best alternative to diesel and gasoline is the full hybrid
Hybrid cars are still, as a general rule, somewhat more expensive than their diesel and gasoline alternatives. But in recent years we have seen hybrids cut the gap. Y nowadays buying a hybrid is not that expensive, not much more than a diesel or a gasoline. Even Dacia has launched its first full hybrid.
Between the Advantages of full hybrids over diesel and gasoline:
- They are, generally, quite comfortable for day to day and for the city
- They are not that expensive anymore. Full hybrids usually have automatic gearboxes, or continuously variable gearboxes that, in practice, and for the user, are like an automatic gearbox, which does not require engaging gears or actuating the clutch pedal. This point makes them, as a general rule, very comfortable. If what we are looking for is a gasoline, or a diesel, automatic, we will discover that its price is very similar to that of the full hybrid.
- Its maintenance is usually simple and cheap. They tend to use very simple mechanics, often without turbos or complex anti-pollution systems that, in the long run, will save us trouble and breakdowns.
- They will necessarily be the ones that best maintain their value, compared to diesel and gasoline, and it will be relatively easy to sell them on the used market if we want to change our car in a few years.