The 2023 Mercedes-AMG SL-Class It is an innovative model that is characterized by the transformation of the removable and later retractable hardtop, being an elemental complement to the SL since it appeared in ’63. The Benz two-door rivals other luxurious 2+2 convertibles, including the Porsche 911 Cabriolet, BMW 8 Series Convertible and Lexus LC. Discover here all the charm that surrounds this legendary brand and that is always on the table.
Prices and which one to buy
SL55: $140,000 (est)
SL63: $180,000 (est)
Mercedes-AMG has not yet come out with a detailed list of standard and optional specifications for the new SL, however the more expensive SL63 would be chosen to unleash the twin-turbo V-8’s peak power image.
Advantages and disadvantages
- Standard twin-turbo V-8
- advanced technology interior
- Comfortable ride quality
- elegant exterior styling
- No more folding hardtop
- largely useless backseat
The new Mercedes-AMG SL-Class 2023
- For its second model year, the next-generation SL-class roadster gets a new gray cloth roof option, as well as available two-tone black and white leather upholstery. Otherwise, the SL55 and SL63 arrive in 2023 without significant changes
Mercedes-AMG SL-Class 2023: Features
Mercedes-AMG SL-Class 2023 remains over time as a symbol of motorsport. Recent examples did not make the impact as expected, as well as a number of novelty two-door, four-seat grand touring convertibles have become archaic, however, the The next generation of the SL is marking a sportier style and will show only an AMG emblem.
The entry-level SL55 is powered by a 469-hp twin-turbo V-8, while the sportier SL63 gets a 577-hp version of the same engine. All-wheel drive and four-wheel steering is standard, its design aimed at optimizing handling and performance. Though it’s been reimagined as a sports car, the new SL still boasts a high-tech, luxurious cabin. A folding cloth top instead of the power folding hardtop of previous designs, retaining its open-air nature and saving weight.
Mercedes-AMG SL-Class Engine, transmission and performance
Both SL versions are powered by a 4.0L twin-turbo V-8 borrowed from the GT sports car. In the SL55, the engine develops a solid 469 hp, however, upgrading to the SL63 increases the figure to 577 hp. A nine-speed automatic is its only transmission, and an all-wheel-drive and four-wheel-steer system standard on all SL models. These powertrains set the reinvigorated SL-Class to challenge other convertible versions of the bmw 8 series and Lexus LC, both with powerful V8 engines, like the sporty competitors, among which appears the Porsche 911.
2023 Mercedes-AMG SL-Class: Fuel Economy
The SL earned EPA ratings of 14 and 21 mpg in city and highway driving for the SL55 and SL63 models. Both the V-8-powered versions of the 8-series and the LC are rated at 25 mpg highway, which beats the SL by a few mpg.
For more information on the SL’s fuel economy, visit the EPA website.
Mercedes-AMG SL-Class Interior, comfort and cargo
The SL class continues in its two-door convertible style. Despite this time the complex folding hardtop of recent times, It has been modified by a roof made of fabric with the new model, in order to save weight, and take advantage of the cargo space, despite this it will not offer a wide space.
The two small rear seats support the space to place an extra occupant, however, this area is better for charging. Its interior looks luxurious, and Mercedes’ new Airscarf feature, which gently blows warm air onto the neck of the driver, as well as the front passenger in cold weather while traveling, is standard.
Mercedes-AMG SL-Class 2023: Infotainment and connectivity
Seen on all SL models, Mercedes’ new MBUX infotainment system, complete with the system’s “Hey Mercedes” virtual assistant, a good-sized 11.9-inch touchscreen infotainment screen adjustable to the viewing angle according to driver preference. An equally standard 12.3-inch digital gauge display. Includes Apple CarPlay and Android Auto navigation. All SLs come with a Burmester stereo system; however, the SL63 can be chosen for a sound-enhanced version.
Safety features and driver assistance Mercedes-AMG SL-Class 2023
Mercedes AMG SL 2022 among its novelties offers a good portion of driver assistance functions, although it is not known which will be standard and which will be optional. Security features include:
- Standard automatic emergency braking with pedestrian detection
- Available Lane Departure Warning with Lane Keeping Assist
- Available adaptive cruise control with semi-autonomous driving mode
Warranty and maintenance coverage Mercedes-AMG SL-Class 2023
The Mercedes-AMG standard warranty option is not very exclusive in its cars, covers a period of four years or 80,400 kilometers (50,000 miles) no extra frills. The 8-series and LC offer interesting complementary scheduled maintenance plans, thus making these cars more appealing to those who prefer to take one.
- Limited warranty covers four years or 80,400 kilometers (50,000 miles)
- Powertrain warranty covers four years or 80,400 kilometers (50,000 miles)
- No free scheduled maintenance
Competitors of Mercedes-AMG SL-Class
Porsche 911 Cabriolet
Aston Martin Vantage
Mercedes AMG SL-Class data sheet
Mercedes-AMG SL63 2022
- Front engine, all wheel drive, 2+2 passenger, 2-door convertible
- Base/Based on Test: $180,450/$204,885
Type of motor
- DOHC 32-valve V-8 with twin turbocharger and intercooler, aluminum block and heads, direct fuel injection
- 243 in3, 3982 cm3
- 590 pound-feet at 2,500 rpm
- 9-speed automatic
- Suspension, A/D: Multilink/Multilink
- Brakes, Front/Right: 15.4-inch vented cross-drilled disc; 14.2-inch vented cross-drilled disc
- Tyres: Michelin Pilot Sport 4S
- F: 275/35ZR21 (103Y) M01A
- A: 305/30ZR21 (104Y) M02A
- Wheelbase: 106.3 inches
- Length: 185.2 in
- Width: 75.4 inches
- Height: 53.5 inches
- Curb Weight: 4,305 lbs.
C/D test results
- 60 mph: 3.0 seconds
- 100 mph: 7.1 seconds
- 1/4 mile: 11.2 seconds at 125 mph
- 130 mph: 12.2 seconds
- 150 mph: 17.5 seconds
- 170 mph: 25.6 seconds
The above results omit a 0.2 second 1 foot rollout.
- Rolling start, 5 to 60 mph: 3.9 seconds
- Top gear, 30 to 50 mph: 2.6 seconds
- Top gear, 50–70 mph: 2.9 seconds
- Top speed (mfr claim): 196 mph
- Braking, 70–0 mph: 150 feet
- Braking, 100–0 mph: 297 ft
- Road resistance, 300 ft. slip platform: 1.04 g
Fuel economy C/D
- Observed: 18 mpg
EPA fuel economy
- Combined/City/Highway: 16/14/21 mpg
The 2023 SL-Class is a great way to feel the real handling of super-smooth, high-driving-force aircraft. It looks great and runs like hell, but the SL class lacks the focus of established sports car rivals.
Videos Mercedes AMG SL 2023
IT MAY INTEREST YOU:
- Audi vs. Mercedes Benz: Which is Better?