Reliability is one of the most important factors when buying a car, both new and second-hand. A logical importance: acquiring a vehicle is a significant investment, especially considering the high prices. Whether you opt for a brand new car or a used one, The answer to this question is essential: which brands suffer fewer breakdowns? We give you a clue: Japan and Korea rule.
Recomotor is a supplier of recovered parts, which acts as a supply for professionals in the motor world and for workshops. has taken as a starting point the component requests it receives to reach a conclusion: the models that require the most repairs are the ones that suffer the most breakdowns and, therefore, are less reliable.
The truth is that there are not too many surprises among the brands that dominate the ranking. The first three speak Japanese and Korean: they are Lexus, Toyota and Hyundai. They are followed, in this order, by Kia and three European ones: Audi, Skoda and Mercedes. The focus is not only on the podium: also in the lower part of this classification. It is there where we find the manufacturers whose models accumulate more visits to the workshop: Tesla, Alfa Romeo, Land Rover or Jaguar.
From Recomotor, he points out that the number of breakdowns suffered by a model in question is not only due to the fact that it was manufactured by a brand: It also influences your sales. If the car has been a success, there will be more units circulating and the chances of going through the workshop will be higher.
The brands and their most frequent faults
The Recomotor report reveals that, in 2022, the most demanded second-hand spare parts They were the complete engine, gearbox, turbo, ABS system, tires, steering, battery, transmission, water radiator and shock absorbers. The aforementioned supplier has crossed this data with the types of breakdowns and the brands that have caused them. With the results they have been able to establish which are the most common errors for each manufacturer.
- Wear: 20% of breakdowns come from the usual deterioration due to the use of the car. A recognizable problem in all brands.
- Electric problems: Another 20% of the errors that a vehicle has are related to one of its electrical components (batteries, central locking, window regulators, fuses and wiring). The brands that suffer the most are Renault, Alfa Romeo and Seat.
- Brakes: 15% of the visits to the workshop are caused by problems with the master cylinder, the parking brake cable and the drum brakes. The models of Citroen, Fiat and Opel are the most common.
- Steering, damping and tires: cause 15% of breakdowns with special prominence for Alfa Romeo, Audi, Chevrolet and Citroen.
- Engine: 10% of the failures are related to some problem in the mechanics and models of Alfa Romeo, Volkswagen and Peugeot are usually recurring
- feeding system: represents 5% of failures and the brands that go through the workshop the most because of it are Volkswagen, Opel and Fiat.
- Heating and ventilation: both systems also account for 5% of failures. Renault, Mercedes and Peugeot They are the ones who suffer the most.
Finally, Recomor places special emphasis on the important role played by proper car maintenance. Regardless of the brand, following the guidelines set by the manufacturers in terms of revisions, component changes… is crucial to prevent breakdowns and not shorten its useful life. And don’t forget that proper driving also influences the good condition of your vehicle.